Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Spoiled Opportunity


1 Kings 11:38 KJV
And it shall be, if thou wilt hearken unto all that I command thee, and wilt walk in my ways, and do that is right in my sight, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as David my servant did; that I will be with thee, and build thee a sure house, as I built for David, and will give Israel unto thee.

I see in Jeroboam a picture similar to that of the Gentiles. God's chosen kingdom was through the family of David and Solomon, the Jews. However, because of sins in Solomon's life, God offered a wonderful opportunity to Jeroboam, a mere servant. If he would obey the Lord in the way that Solomon had not, then he could have the very promise God had made to David and Solomon. This is just what God did for the Gentiles. Though the Jews are His chosen people, because of their unbelief God opened the door of opportunity to the Gentiles to become children of God. The promise to the Gentiles is one of great grace and mercy.
It is not deserved.
It is despite the fact that the Gentiles had never followed the Lord and
It is only because the Jews did not obey the Lord as they should have

What a blessing!

But the warning in the text stems from the fact that Jeroboam did not obey the Lord as God instructed. He let jealousy and desire to control block his judgment so that he rebelled against the very God who had promised him such grace and he lost the promise for himself and his posterity.

God is so gracious and kind to us. But that is no reason to assume such graciousness will continue indefinitely. God seeks Christians who will be faithful to Him.

May we be those Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment