Wednesday, January 03, 2007

What about Elihu?


Job 42:7 KJV
And it was so, that after the LORD had spoken these words unto Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath.

The book of Job is always an interest to me, and never an easy book for me. I was interested this morning to see that God's wrath was against Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar, but no mention is made of Elihu. So I did a little digging today.

My New Pilgrim's Study Bible[1] says that the three were wrong in that they insisted that God would only judge the wicked and only reward the righteous. Since Job was suffering the conclusion, in their mind was that Job must have committed sin to be judged this way.

On the other hand, Elihu's point of view was that God teaches people lessons through suffering. Elihu then urged Job to submit himself to God's hand, knowing that what God does is both just and perfect. That this is wise counsel is confirmed by the fact that God does not show wrath toward him and it was not necessary for Job to offer a sacrifice for him.


[1] New Pilgrim’s Study Bible, pg 765

No comments:

Post a Comment