Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Grandma


2 Tim 1:5
When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother …. (KJV)

I got the word yesterday morning (which was a Sunday) that my grandmother had a stroke and was in the hospital. Anita and I planned a trip to Hood River, Oregon to see her this morning but by the time we got there Grandma had experienced a seizure and was sliding downhill. We knew it was only a matter of hours before she passes so the only thing left to do is make her as comfortable as we can until she is gone.

When I call to remembrance my Grandma
I remember joy.
Grandma always seemed to be happy. She was an early riser and liked to watch the morning skies as the sun rose over her Columbia River home. Grandma had a joy in her voice and an energy in her life that, as far as I was ever able to see, just never left her.

I remember love.
Grandma was the example of love and care for her family. Her whole life was taken with giving care for her children. Even in her eighties, it looked like she would be there for her own kids until they were gone.

I remember perfume
When I kissed Grandma yesterday, she was wearing the scent of her perfume. Grandma was loved a beautiful view from her home, a well cared for yard and flower garden, a well kept house, and to keep herself beautiful.

I remember bubble bread
It means nothing to most, but there is something comfortable about passing down a sweet recipe.

I remember attending church with her
And I am glad I can expect to see her again soon in heaven.
(About 11:00pm March 20, I received the word that my grandmother has gone to be with the Lord. As best as a man can tell, Grandma was a believer. I long for the day when I will see her again in glory.)

No comments:

Post a Comment