Sunday, April 22, 2007

To This Man Will I Look


Isaiah 66:1-2 KJV
Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?
For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.


God is not impressed with those things we might bring to Him by way of offering. The gods of this world, men suppose, are appeased by the sacrifice. They give offerings expecting to buy their god off and pacify, for a time, his anger. Our God taught sacrifices for an entirely different reason - to show just how futile they really were. The sacrifice only pointed out man's utter inability to pacify God and pointed to the sacrifice that God Himself would offer, not to appease himself but to propitiate for man's sin.

So God is not looking for a man who will give more to Him. He needs nothing. God is looking for a man who is
Poor
The word means depressed. There is too much of the giddy, shallow frivolity. We need men who can see the seriousness of the day. Not that God wants us to be miserable people. He says He has written the Word and spoken to us so our joy may be full. But that joy originates in God, not in the pleasures of the world.

Contrite in spiritThis word means smitten. Our own sin should be enough to humble us before God. That we are wicked sinners and that God would send His Son to die that sin is humbling to the highest degree. That Christ was wounded for our transgressions should wound us in our very spirit.

Trembles at His WordThis means fearful. God's Word must be more to us than a good read. To take heed to every Word of God and to obey ought to be our highest goal.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:54 AM

    Pastor,

    I just wanted to write a quick note and say thank you. This blog has really been a blessing and is a wonderful opportunity for me to take a break during the day and rejoice in God's word.

    Thanks again and I look forward to continued reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post. I began doing these really as an outlet for my personal devotions. If others benefit from them I am humbled and blessed.

    ReplyDelete