Saturday, June 09, 2007

Abide In Him


1 John 2:28 KJV
And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.

I take it from this passage, that we who are the children of God have a choice as to whether we abide in Him or not. I do not take it that my choice determines my salvation, but rather my confidence when Christ comes for me.

Salvation is a determination that Christ makes. He keeps that which we commit to Him until the day He returns for us. However, as believers, I have day by day choices I can make concerning my walk with the Lord. If I make the choice to walk away from the Lord, or if I make the choice to walk at a distance from the Lord that does not negate the promise of eternal life God gave me. But it does mean that
1. I may not be as confident of my salvation when I think about eternal things
2. I will not stand before Christ as confidently when He returns and the works of my life are judged in view of the rewards I will receive in glory.

I also find some encouragement in this verse. If God's word tells me to abide in Christ, then I can rest assured it is possible for me to do it.

John Gill's notes say it means to abide
In the exercise of faith on him, of hope in him, and love to him; and
To hold to him the head, and
To hold fast his word and Gospel, and
Abide by his truth and ordinances, and
Adhere to his cause and interest
[1]

As we practice these things in our spiritual life, our walk with Christ deepens and we are confident in our relationship with Him.


[1] E-Sword 7.7.7, John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible, Dr. John Gill (1690-1771)

No comments:

Post a Comment