Wednesday, June 06, 2007

He is


1 John 1:9 KJV
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
I focused this morning on the words "he is."

There is a condition in this text, that we confess our sins. We would not do well to ignore this. It is entirely possible to take the Lord so for granted that we assume we have been forgiven and cleansed without ever confessing those sins. To assume we have been cleansed from something we have not ever assented to being a sin is a huge error.

But the central concept of the text is not what we do but who "He is."

He is faithful.
What a blessing to see this! When I am finicky, when I am fickle, when I am completely untrustworthy, God is faithful.

I can count on Him.
I can trust Him.
I can believe Him.

He is faithful.

He is just.
It is completely right and holy and pure for God to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from unrighteousness when we confess those sins.

He is
He is the One in whom I place my trust - not in my own ability to do right; not even in my ability to properly confess my sins (have you ever wondered if you confessed them the right way?)

He is the hope of the Christian.
He is the strength of the Christian
He is the Saviour of the Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment