Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A Prophet

Deuteronomy 18:18-22 KJV
I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.
But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.
And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken?
When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.


Notice that the word Prophet in verse 18 is capitalized. This verse, agrees the Jewish scholars of old, is messianic. It is not speaking of just any prophet but of the Saviour.

He was raised up among the Jews
He spake what the Father gave Him to say
He gave one prophesy that is without question on fulfilled in Jesus -

John 2:19
Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. (KJV)

All others are presumptuous. We do not need to heed their message. We do not need to be afraid of their words. Only Christ died and rose again three days later. We are only required to those words spoken by Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment