Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Considered My Trouble

Psalms 31:7 KJV
I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities;

What an encouragement to know that God has considered my trouble! I am not alone in my times of trial. God is aware. Strong's Concordance lists a variety of applications for the word considered here. Among them are "to gaze" and "to experience." God's concern for my trouble is more than a non-emotional awareness. Some may know I am in distress but either they do not care or they are not able to bear the emotional pain of my distress. God gazes upon my trouble. God studies it. God looks into it, marks it.

But God goes even further than that; God experiences it. I am reminded of
Heb 2:18
For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted. (KJV)

And
Heb 4:15
For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. (KJV)

God became man and experienced our trouble. And because He has experienced it He can empathize with us; not just sympathize with us. He not only feels compassion for us in our trouble, He identifies with us in our trouble.

Regarding the phrase, "thou hast known my soul in adversities.” Albert Barnes writes, "...That is, God had seen and known all the feelings of his heart in the time of adversity; his sorrow and anxiety; his hope and trust; his uncomplaining spirit; his feeling of entire dependence on God, and his belief that He would interpose to save him. God had not turned away from him, but had shown that he regarded with interest all his feelings, his desires, his hopes."

No comments:

Post a Comment