Thursday, May 15, 2008

In Thine Own Strength

Psalms 21:13 KJV
Be thou exalted, LORD, in thine own strength: so will we sing and praise thy power.

Not too many months ago I began a study and preached a series of messages on the things the apostles prayed for. That series led me to look into the benedictions and doxologies of the New Testament and through that study I learned that the doxologies can be considered prayers. A couple of the most impressive to me are;

1 Pet 5:11
To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. (KJV)

Rev 11:17
Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned. (KJV)

It was an awe-inspiring idea to me to pray that God would take unto Himself His own great power; to pray that God would Himself glorify Himself in the earth. That has become a focal point of my personal prayer life these days.

This Psalm fits right into that focus and I plan to make it a regular part of my prayer time.

That God would be exalted
That God would be exalted in His own strength (and not that of men)
That we would sing and praise God's power - not what man has done in the name of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment