Friday, June 20, 2008

Are There Few?

Luke 13:23-24 KJV
Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them,
Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.


I am reminded of the human tendency to think that bad things "won't happen to me." In other words;
I know that reckless driving can lead to tragic accidents but if I drive recklessly, it won't happen to me. Or
I know that eating certain foods is linked to getting cancer, but I can eat them and it won't happen to me.

That type of mentality.

Here is one who assumes he is saved. If he is, or not; I know not. But I know a lot of people who assume they will go to heaven; who in fact assume really everyone will go to heaven.

This is a valid question and one that students of the spiritual do well to think upon. Is it the many or the few who will be saved?

Is salvation merely a formality because in fact, God will save everyone?
Is salvation the choice of man and any attempt to approach God will be accepted?
Is grace so free that God does not care what we believe in order to save us?

Or is the gift of salvation really strait as Jesus said?
Jesus said, "strive." And while there is no work in salvation, it is clear there is a "struggle" that must be overcome in order to be saved. We must finally come to the place where we place no confidence in the flesh and good works. So long as we think we have any thread of goodness that could make us deserve heaven, we aren't to the place where Christ saves.

Few are saved because few ever give up the battle to earn their own way instead of trusting Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment