Monday, September 15, 2008

God May Command Us NOT to Pray

Jeremiah 14:11 KJV
Then said the LORD unto me, Pray not for this people for their good.
This is one of those texts that can easily be ignored or dismissed by some well intentioned Christians. They might cite passages such as
Luke 17:3-4 KJV
Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.
And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.


Or
Matthew 6:14-15 KJV
For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.


And say that Christ in the New Testament does away with passages such as Jeremiah 14:11. On the other hand we also have in the New Testament
1 John 5:16 KJV
If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

So I believe we need to be careful and not dismiss Old Testament passages too quickly. The key, it seems to me is that as a Christian I should always forgive the one who has committed and ought against me. I, however, must take my stand against the one who commits ought against the Lord or the cause of Jesus Christ.

So there are I should not pray blessings upon.
Those who deny that Jesus has come in the flesh
Those who twist the clear teaching of the Word of God
Those who do God's Word dishonor by disobeying our ignoring His Word


Are those I must not pray for their good. I do still pray for them.
I pray they will come to see the truth.
I pray they will repent of their sin.
I pray they will hear Gospel reproofs.

But I do not pray that God would bless them in their sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment