Wednesday, November 05, 2008

When Understanding Returns

Daniel 4:34 KJV
And at the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honoured him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation:
This is a sobering as well as encouraging chapter.

God gave Nebuchadnezzar warning about what God was about to do to him.
God gave Daniel understanding concerning how best to present the interpretation to Nebuchadnezzar and then
God gave Daniel to the king to plead with him to repent before the chastening began


Unfortunately, Nebuchadnezzar did not heed Daniel's message. What a heartbreak it is to a preacher when he can see the hand of God at work in a person's life but they refuse to repent as God is calling them to do.

The preacher may plead
The preacher may express brokenness himself

But the person does not make things right with the Lord.

And then comes the day of judgment.
For Nebuchadnezzar, it lasted seven long years.

The encouraging thing was that even after so long a time, there still came that day when "mine understanding returned unto me."
I know some very dear people who have gone off in directions I have warned them about. My prayer is that, in the process of God's time, their understanding will return unto them and they will then repent. I would sure like it if it did not take seven years!

No comments:

Post a Comment