Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Elder

3 John 1:1 KJV
The elder unto the wellbeloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth.

The Apostle John, here toward the last years of his life, does not address himself as an apostle, but merely as the elder.

There comes a point in a man's life when he realizes his title means very little. What is most important is how he has lived his life and what he does with his life. John, it seems to me, had come to the place where he was more about who he was in Christ than what he was in relationship to church leadership.

He may have come to this place many years previous to this, I don't know. But he had gone from being one of "the sons of thunder" anxious to strike down anyone who did not follow. To being simply "the elder" the old man.

I want to be in the spiritual place where what matters is my walk with Christ, not my position of authority over others.

No comments:

Post a Comment