Sunday, January 25, 2009

Darkness Saw Great Light

Matthew 4:16 KJV
The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.

It is fascinating to me to consider that Jesus Christ, though born in Bethlehem, near Jerusalem, and of the tribe of Judah, began His ministry not in Judah or Jerusalem, but in the region of the rebellious northern kingdom of Israel. This is a land that had long abandoned the closest principles of Judaism and had compromised with the heathen around them. They truly "sat in darkness" but the light of Christ was shined to them first.

When I got saved I also sat in darkness. In my earlier years, I did not believe I was in darkness. At first, I thought I was in the light because I believed in God. I thought that just by virtue of the fact that I acknowledged there was a God, I was OK with Him. A little later I thought I was all right because I felt myself a good person. I did good things. I was a good student in school. I loved and tried to obey my parents. And I thought I was fine with God by virtue of my own goodness.

It was not until, a few years later; I realized the darkness of my life that I was ready to see the light of Jesus Christ. His glory and His goodness were so brilliant I could only see my life without Him as complete darkness.

What a blessing that the light of Jesus Christ shined into the dark recesses of my life and drew me to Him in salvation and then further into a life of walking near Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment