Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Ephraim

Genesis 41:51-52 KJV
And Joseph called the name of the firstborn Manasseh: For God, said he, hath made me forget all my toil, and all my father's house.
And the name of the second called he Ephraim: For God hath caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction.


Joseph calls Egypt "the land of my affliction" Living in Egypt would not have been his choice. As a child, dreaming as he did, he would not have dreamed that God would have placed him in the land of Egypt - even as a ruler there.

But God did make Joseph fruitful in this land of affliction. And Joseph did live to honor God in that place of affliction.

This world is, for the Christian, "the land of our affliction." It is not how God originally intended or mankind to live. It is filled with sin and with oppressive forces against the faith.

But God has made us fruitful in this land. We can accomplish much to His honor and we can live, still longing for heaven, but in a manner glorifying to our God.

No comments:

Post a Comment