Friday, March 13, 2009

Comparing Ourselves

2 Corinthians 10:12 KJV
For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

The Bible does teach us not to compare ourselves among ourselves. Our measure is Christ, not another man.

On the other hand, the Apostle Paul did make some comparisons of Himself with others:
1 Corinthians 15:10 KJV
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

It seems to me that the difference is this; we should not compare ourselves in things we have little to no control over.
Our intellect
Our natural strengths
Our station in life


But Paul did press himself in those areas he could have some influence over, namely, how hard he laboured.
Regardless of his mental abilities
Regardless of his physical limitations or strengths
Regardless of his obstacles


He could always labor more abundantly.
He could do more.
He could go to one more city
He could preach one more message
He could write one more letter

Comparing who preaches the best messages or who pastors the biggest church or who knows his Bible the best; those are ridiculous and useless comparisons. We can argue about them all the day long and, in the end, only God is the rightful judge of those things.

But I can labor just a little more than I have before.

No comments:

Post a Comment