Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tell Us Plainly

John 10:24 KJV
Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly.

When I was just beginning as a preacher there was a man who would come to visit me several times a week. Louis was a little off mentally, but not so much that he could not think some pretty serious thoughts. As much as I would try to show him the Word of God, Louis could never come to the place where he just believed that Jesus was the Saviour.

As a young preacher I was distressed about this and kept searching the Bible for that one magic verse that would finally open his eyes so he could see Jesus as God in the flesh. I never found that verse. I could have wished, in those days, that Jesus had told us more plainly that He is God.

But over the years I have learned a few (some would say very few) things.
One, I have learned that Jesus has told us as plainly as is necessary.
The Bible does not come up short in any way. God as given us very clear very precise and very effective proof that Jesus is the Christ, the Saviour of the world. If one does not see it, it is not because God has not provided it.

Two, I have learned that it is not up to me to make people see Christ for who He is.
These Jews said to Jesus "tell us plainly" they even accused Jesus of making them doubt. And Jesus' response was not to say, "Hey guys, I'm sorry, I should have been more clear." His respnse was to say, "I told you and ye believed not."

Let's remember that the Christian life is a life of faith, not sight. There is no proof in the world that would make the willfully blind see the truth. And there is more than enough to convince those whose hearts have turned to Jesus that He is their Saviour. I do not need to concern myself with convincing the stubborn and hard hearted. I only need occupy myself in ministering to the tender and faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment