Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Don't Go Back To Those Foolish Things

Proverbs 26:11 KJV
As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
When I first got saved I was so excited I dove into Christianity lock stock and barrel. I came to the place where I abandoned almost all interests I had before I was a Christian and, for all practical purposes, assumed only those interests that were my pastors.

Some of my earlier interests were not wicked or worldly and over the course of time I came to a place of balance on them. I regained an interest in, for instance,
Welding. I enjoy the craft and now enjoy doing some welding in a recreational sort of way
Fishing. For a few years I was just too busy in the process of learning how to do the ministry to have much interest in fishing. However, over the years I have enjoyed getting out to fish once in a while.


The danger I think I see is that some Christians don't find a right balance. They may have swung farther than they needed to when they first became believers, but when they realize it they sometimes swing far too far back, returning to many of the follies of their worldly self.

God's Word still has standards for us
God's Word still has expectations of us

It is true that we can sometimes, in our zeal for righteousness, move further than is necessary. But it is never right for us to return to the foolishness of the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment