Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Kindness

2 Samuel 9:1 KJV
And David said, Is there yet any that is left of the house of Saul, that I may shew him kindness for Jonathan's sake?
Kindness is a theme in this chapter and the next.

David seeks to show kindness to the family of Saul for Jonathan's sake
David expands that to show "the kindness of God" to the house of Saul
David then seeks to show kindness to the son of the King of Ammon upon news of his father's death


Regardless of the fact that not all of David's efforts were reciprocated kindly this quality of character is one that I would love to have in my personal life. As a Christian I ought to make it my goal

First to show kindness to friends (for Jonathan's sake)
Secondly to show not only personal kindness but "the kindness of God"
Thirdly to show kindness to those who have been enemies.


The reason for showing this kindness is not so I may receive kindness in return, though that is often the case. The reason to show the kindness is because by doing so we become ministers of God to those around us. God uses us to deliver His own kindness to this world He loves so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment