Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Strive Together

Romans 15:30 KJV
Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

This has always been a favorite verse with me. At one time I had difficulty deciding whether this verse or Romans 4:20 would be the passage I wanted most associated with my name. Romans 4:20 is the passage I selected as my life verse, but this verse is so necessary for the success of any ministry. How I crave men and women who will strive together with me in prayer.

The ministry has never been a one man operation but has always been a team event. It requires an ever growing team of players who all see their own position as both unique and vital to the overall goal. A team of prayer warriors is key to the effectiveness of God's work with a man.

Gill says of this passage, "He represents prayer as an agony, an holy conflict, and striving with God, a wrestling with him, as Jacob did, who held him, and would not let him go without the blessing, and had power with him, and prevailed. The phrase denotes the fervency of prayer, the strength, labour, and energy of it..."

The effectiveness of any ministry is likely based upon how well the ministry is able to put together that team of warriors who strive together in this type of prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment