Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Iniquity of Son

Psalms 32:5 KJV
I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.

The three major terms for sin are all found in this one verse:
Transgressions means a revolt or rebellion
Iniquity means a perversity, a moral evil and the punishment of it
Sin means an offense


What I was interested in was the wording, "...Thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin."

Barnes Notes says
“All the guilt,” or the “iniquity” of his sin, was at once forgiven..."

Gill says
"That is, either the guilt of his sin, which he took away from him; or the punishment of it, which he delivered him from..."

When the Psalmist acknowledged his sin to the Lord, the Lord then forgave (I believe we can say) both the guilt and the punishment of said sin.

Praise God! His grace lifts away the guilt of the sin so that we may have peace of soul and the punishment of sin so that we may have peace with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment