Thursday, October 01, 2009

Make No Tarrying....Please

Psalms 40:17 KJV
But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God.

This Psalm was written by David, most likely during one of those times in his life when he was afflicted. Though David was
Anointed of God
A man after God's own heart and
A generally righteous king in Israel

David's life is almost most easily outlined around the different struggles he faced. Christians struggle on this earth. The key is how we deal with those struggles.

Now to the verse: there are at least these three major divisions within it:

A humble declaration
"I am poor and needy"

A comforting consideration
"the Lord thinketh upon me; thou art my help and my deliverer"

An earnest appeal
"make no tarrying, O my God"
If David could feel like he was poor and needy then likely it is that every Christian will feel the same. It is best that we feel this way concerning our spiritual condition. We are helpless in that state without Christ. So we do not need to hide our helplessness and ignore its existence; we must instead seek the right place for comfort and for help. God's love for us is so well documented in the Word of God it is undeniable. The question is, do we lean on His care of us for both our help in times of trouble and especially for our deliverance, both from our sin and also from our oppressors?

The New Testament makes it clear that the mark of the follower of Christ is that he looks for the appearing of Jesus Christ. Every day a Christian can rightfully pray, "make no tarrying, O my God" and in some sense pine for that day when Christ comes.

Even so come, Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment