Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Dead?

Colossians 3:3 KJV
For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
Now here is an interesting and powerful thought. The Bible says I am dead. Taking the Scriptures as a whole I know that I was once dead in trespasses and sins. When I came to Christ I was born again and my spirit was quickened and made alive. Now that I am saved I am again dead and my life is hidden with Christ in God.
• I was dead
• But now I am alive
• To die again so that
• Death cannot reign in me

Now practical application of this truth is evident in the passage; being dead we would have no interest or affection for earthly things.
• Summer, winter
• Heat or cold
• Wealth and power
• Fame and influence

None of those things concern the one who is dead.

It is obvious this death is of a peculiar kind because it is the one who is dead who is told to "set your affection on things above." This is not the sort of death that leads to absolute powerlessness. This is the sort of death that leads us to exercise ourselves in one direction alone; a direction that is heavenward and away from earthly.

No comments:

Post a Comment