Saturday, April 03, 2010

I Am Not Sorry I Made You Sorry, But I was Sorry

2 Corinthians 7:8 KJV
For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season.

2 Corinthians 7:12 KJV
Wherefore, though I wrote unto you, I did it not for his cause that had done the wrong, nor for his cause that suffered wrong, but that our care for you in the sight of God might appear unto you.

Paul speaks of his first letter to the church at Corinth and points out that
Though the letter was stern and designed to confront
Though the letter had caused sorrow upon the believers in Corinth and
Though the letter had even caused Paul to reconsider if he had done wisely in writting the letter

The purpose of the letter was to show his care for those people in the sight of God. His goal was not to cause sorrow or to create a break in their ability to fellowship with one another. His goal was only to see them made right before the Lord.

Sometimes hard things have to be said and difficult meetings have to be held. Sometimes confrontation is necessary on the part of the preacher of God's Word. But his goal is not to hurt but to help the people of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment