Friday, June 11, 2010

An Habitation for Him

Exodus 15:2
The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him.

Here is Moses and six million Jews. They have just escaped Egypt. They have just witnessed God's destruction of the Egyptian army and they are facing a wilderness. It is possible that they spoke of the day they would reach their Promised Land but it is certain that God did not need them nearly as much as they needed God.

So preparing an habitation for God was not for the sake of God - it was for their own sake. They needed that their God would dwell among them.

This is not speaking of the Tabernacle because Moses did not receive the commandment to construct it for some time.

The is not speaking of any sort of structure because Israel was about to wander through the wilderness.

I doubt that it spoke of a Temple in the Promised Land because that wasn't built for four hundred years after this.

I believe it speaks of a habitation of the heart. We need God. And we need Him near by. Even having Him constantly at the church house is not sufficient. We can't be there every moment of every day. And we need God that much. We need God so desperately that we need Him with us at all times. There is only one way to ensure that: we have to prepare Him an habitation within us.

Lord, make it so.

No comments:

Post a Comment