Sunday, July 18, 2010

Fifty

Numbers 8:25-26
And from the age of fifty years they shall cease waiting upon the service thereof, and shall serve no more:
But shall minister with their brethren in the tabernacle of the congregation, to keep the charge, and shall do no service. Thus shalt thou do unto the Levites touching their charge.


The Levites were to wait upon the service of the tabernacle from twenty five years old until they were fifty. After fifty they were to cease from the service and from then on minister with their brethren in the tabernacle. Because of some other texts I believe that means they changed from the physical labor of the ministry to more spiritual and mentoring type ministries.

Being now fifty two years old I am aware that in my younger years I did not know very much though I did think pretty well of my accomplishments. But I also know, now that I am over fifty, that I still don't know much. Perhaps I am more unsure of what I know than any time previous in my life. I am certainly not qualified to be a mentor. Further, I am not sure I know anyone that I believe does know any more than I do. I am fearful of men who presume to teach because I see so little that I perceive to be of God.

May the Lord guide and help us!

No comments:

Post a Comment