Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Why We Rest

Ruth 3:18 KJV
Then said she, Sit still, my daughter, until thou know how the matter will fall: for the man will not be in rest, until he have finished the thing this day.

Sit still; the man will not rest...

The reason the believer has rest is because Christ will not rest until He has performed that good work which He has begun in us.

If I have asked another to do a very important task and I trust that they are the sort that will not rest until the task is finished, then I can rest in that faith. If however I do not have confidence in the character or the ability of the one in whom I have committed my task, then I will have no rest. I will have to check one the work, perhaps even attempt to do it myself.

So whether I find rest in my Christian faith or not depends on my faith in the
• Character
• Promises and
• Ability
Of the Lord.

And I can measure my faith (or the faith of another) by the rest they possess. If I find I do not have spiritual rest; if I struggle with questions of doubt and insecurity either in my soul or in my confidence in Christ's work in the world around me, it is a sure sign that my relationship with the Lord is not on the level it needs to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment