Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Doubly Crucified

Galatians 6:14 KJV
But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

Matthew Poole paraphrases this verse
"I care no more for the world than it careth for me; the world despiseth and contemneth me, and the doctrine of the cross which I preach and publish in it, and I contemn it, with all its vain pomp and splendour."

And Gill says
"…so that he feared not the worst men, and things in it, any more than he would one that was fastened to a cross, or dead; since Christ, by his crucifixion and death, had overcome the world, the prince of it, the men and malice of it, the sin that was in it, and had made him more than a conqueror also; his faith in a crucified Christ overcame the world…"

The Christian has no need to be angry or bitter towards the people of this world, but neither should we be fascinated and allured by it. We have such better things to look forward to. The sooner we see ourselves as having crucified the world to us and us to the world, the sooner we will be ready to pitch our lot without reserve onto the things of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment