Monday, January 17, 2011

Faith and Priorities

2 Thessalonians 1:4 KJV
So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure:

Paul glories in the patience and faith of the believers in Thessalonica [1] in all their persecution. As he addresses other churches; as he visits and preaches and exhorts others in the work of the ministry, Paul points them to Thessalonica and, in a manner, brags about how well they are doing in the midst of their persecutions.

This would be so difficult to do. I know my own heart and I know that while I would be glad they were holding up, it would kill me to know they were facing such trial. I think it is a matter of perhaps both priority and trust.
My own priorities are too conformed to this world.
The comfort of another may be more important to me than it should be. I am may be interested in their ease to the point where I am not as interested in the work of the Spirit of God in this world as I should be.
My faith is weaker than was Paul's.
He knew God was at work. He credited this suffering as fitting them for the kingdom of God. He could glory in it because he trusted God through it.

I do not want to rejoice that anyone is ever suffering. But I do take note and ask God to make me more tuned in to His work and in my faith to trust that work.

No comments:

Post a Comment