Wednesday, August 03, 2011

It Was Their Humanity That Got Them

Jeremiah 38:15 KJV
Then Jeremiah said unto Zedekiah, If I declare it unto thee, wilt thou not surely put me to death? and if I give thee counsel, wilt thou not hearken unto me?

Jeremiah is one of the more "human" of the prophets.
There was that time when he thought he would quit preaching.

Then, when Babylon moved away because of the Egyptian, Jeremiah saw an opportunity to separate from the midst of the city and was taken prisoner for treason instead. He pled his case, but wasn't heeded.

In prison and now at the beck and call if King Zedekiah, the humanity of the two of them rises close to the surface.
• Zedekiah is seeking the Word of the Lord and
• Jeremiah, though giving that word, is seeking his own release.

Things don't end well for either man and it is most likely that it is their humanity that got them both. So I am not condoning Jeremiah's obvious efforts to save himself. I am pointing out that the prophets were all, at best, men.

But God used them despite it.

No comments:

Post a Comment