Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Superficial Revivals

Zephaniah 1:1 KJV
The word of the LORD which came unto Zephaniah the son of Cushi, the son of Gedaliah, the son of Amariah, the son of Hizkiah, in the days of Josiah the son of Amon, king of Judah.

Scofield reminds me that Zephaniah's ministry was under the days of King Josiah and the revival which he led. But Scofield comments that even though there was change, it was a superficial revival and Zephaniah and Jeremiah both pronounced judgment regardless.

Sounds to me a lot like the old Baptists who:
• Would not participate in the famous revivals of the past
• Were wary of the evangelists behind them and
• Continued to preach messages of warning and judgment despite them

Perhaps all such revivals have been shallow and more a reformation of behavior than a turning to Christ. I realize some will point out the good that was done in them. And some will be threatened because they lean on past revivals for their hope of a future one. But my hope is in something far more sure. My hope is that hope which God's Word gives us. My hope is in Christ's soon and promised return. Until that day I will preach:
• God's judgment upon this world
• God's mercy upon those who trust in Him and
• God's reward a heavenly and not earthly one

No comments:

Post a Comment