Sunday, January 27, 2013

God, Guns and Government


Jeremiah 26:14-15 KJV
As for me, behold, I am in your hand: do with me as seemeth good and meet unto you.
But know ye for certain, that if ye put me to death, ye shall surely bring innocent blood upon yourselves, and upon this city, and upon the inhabitants thereof: for of a truth the LORD hath sent me unto you to speak all these words in your ears.

Over the course of years, I have seen many Christians, Baptist pastors included, whose attitude toward our governments and guns has been,  "You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers." 

I understand the sentiment.
  • I enjoy guns,
  • Like to shoot,
  • Like hunting and
  • Support the right of the American citizen to keep and bear arms
I do not, however, agree with the sentiment. Baptists have always been a Bible people even before they were an American people. Observing the message of the Bible has always been much more important than honoring the Constitution of any human government. And the Bible principle is that men can do what they will with this body; God will bless and keep His own.

Vengeance belongs to God. He will repay whatever wrong has been done to right people in His time. We are always wisest and most Biblical when we bless those who wrong us and leave whatever retribution they may deserve in the hands of the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment