Sunday, May 26, 2013

Any Man May Turn from Sin

Genesis 27:12-13 KJV
My father peradventure will feel me, and I shall seem to him as a deceiver; and I shall bring a curse upon me, and not a blessing.
And his mother said unto him, Upon me be thy curse, my son: only obey my voice, and go fetch me them.

The account of Jacob's deception of his father, followed by God's promise to him in the next chapter brings cause to marvel at the grace of God. He truly is in the business of restoration and not judgment. The wrath of God is real and awful. Any man would be wise to turn from his sins and away from such terrible judgment, but the blessing of the Bible is that any man MAY turn away from that judgment.

It matters not what is our past, what is the sin of our heritage, what we have done in our background or even what we are prone to today. What matters is that God is gracious to those who will seek Him. While on this earth we are all works in progress. Like Jacob we will have moments, maybe long ones, when the likeness of the Lord will be little noticed in us. But like Jacob, the Lord is the holder of the promise and He will finish what He has begun in us.


I must never write a man off as outside of God's reach. Equally important, I must never judge myself as having sinned so much as to be outside the grace of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment