Genesis 13:2 KJV
And Abram was very rich in cattle, in silver, and in gold.
It struck me today that being rich in silver and gold was not that great of advantage for a nomadic man such as was Abraham. In fact, it seems to me that one could almost give this chapter in his life the title, "excess baggage".
Wealth was not the great friend of Abraham and it certainly contributed little to God's plan for his life.
· Silver and gold had to be carried from place to place
· Cattle required huge amounts of grazing lands, creating conflict with himself and other herdsmen, indeed, even
Lot was a load of excess baggage the Bible clearly indicates he
should not have carried along
How much treasure we place in our hearts for treasure! The only value wealth has ever possessed is that value we have personally assigned it. How much better off we would all be if we learned to treasure instead just doing that which is God's will.
Obedience to God and allowing Him to then provide our necessities as He pleases would dispense with the need for
· Stress reducers
· High blood pressure medications and
· A multitude of other expensive measures that are all man made
- the consequence of carrying "excess baggage."