Revelation 11:10 KJV
And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.
Who the two witnesses are is a matter of discussion among Christians.
- Some believe they are Elijah and Moses because of the types of miracles they have power to perform
- Some believe they are Elijah and Enoch because it is appointed unto man once to die, and neither of these two have died
While I lean toward the later (the passage seems to indicate that they will be well known prophets) there is also the possibility that they are neither, but as John the Baptist was representative of Elijah, so these two are representative of two great prophets.
The Bible says that the people of the earth will rejoice over their deaths because they had tormented them on the earth. What a contrast! If they think hearing some preaching is torment wait until they lift up their eyes in hell.
Truth be told, people today think of the message of salvation as a kind of torment.
- We are warning them if something they don't want to think about
- We are causing them to face decisions that are not easy
- We are urging them to take steps they haven't prepared themselves to take
But if this be torment to them it is trivial in comparison to that of hell.
It's all a matter of care. As the physical therapist pushes a client to keep working through the pain, because he knows on the other side is better health and living, so the caring Christian ought to push souls to consider these Spiritual matters because we know that life in heaven is so much better than the alternative.