Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pastoral Qualifications

1 Corinthians 2:3 KJV
And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.

I note:
These are not the qualifications most desired in today's preacher
No church that I am aware if would consciously seek a man who was weak, fearful and full of trembling. I have met some preachers who are this way. I have experienced some of those attributes myself. But these are not popular qualities in modern preachers.

These were no more popular in Paul's own day
This is easily demonstrated by the enormous amount of criticism he faced, especially by those Judaizers who followed after him.

They are nevertheless, qualities Paul lifted up as proofs of God's ministry through him
The work that he had accomplished could not be credited to his abilities and talents.
Though he admitted he worked hard, nothing he had done could be explained merely by hard work. This was not the modern "Ten percent inspiration and ninety percent perspiration" mentality so promoted these days. This was God's strength demonstrated through man's weakness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment