Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Your "What Ifs?" Should Never Change Your "I Wills"

1 Corinthians 16:4 KJV
And if it be meet that I go also, they shall go with me.

There are a lot of "ifs", "may be's" and other sorts of uncertainties in this chapter:
Vs 3 "whomsoever ye shall approve"
Vs 4 "if it be meet..."
Vs 6 "it may be that I will abide with you"
Vs 7 "if the Lord permit"
Vs 10 "if Timotheus come"
Vs 12 "I great desired... but"
Vs 15 "I beseech you"
Vs 22 "If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ..."
Even the Apostle was subject to uncertainties. He did not choose every person who worked beside him he could not determine God's will for every fellow-laborer on his team. He had no means of assuring that every professed of faith would love The Lord Jesus. He could not know ahead how circumstances would move in every decision he would make.

But there are also some "I wills" and other sorts of absolutes found in the  chapter:

  • Vs 1 "as I have given order"
  • Vs 3 "them will I send"
  • Vs 5 "I will come unto you"
  • Vs 8 " I will tarry ad Ephesus"
  • Vs 13-14 " Watch ye, stand fast in the faith..."

There are some things Paul gave orders to do rather than beseeching them to do. There were some things he expected would happen. There were some things that, regardless of what were the circumstances, he would do.

We live each day with many uncertainties:

  • Things we cannot control
  • Things we do not know ahead of the time

In those uncertainties, it is ours to trust the Lord. These uncertainties should have little sway over our convictions and commitments to the Lord.

  • I cannot know how others will follow the Lord but I can determine to follow Him regardless
  • I cannot know in all ways how God will lead me but I can determine to go wherever He leads
  • I cannot say what circumstances might try to keep me from the will of the Lord but I can decide ahead that nothing will turn me from Christ


No comments:

Post a Comment