Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Cure of Covetousness

Hebrews 13:5 KJV
Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

There is both a positive and a negative exhortation in the early part of this verse:
  • Negatively, be without covetousness
  • Positively, be content with such as ye have
Contentment is the cure for and the polar opposite of covetousness.

But the passage goes further and gives the reason why we ought to be content and no covet. It is because we have the promise of God's unfailing presence. 
  • I can be content in whatsoever state I am in because I know that God's presence is with me. 
  • I can live without fear because I know that God will not forsake me and 
  • I can have courage because I know that God will not fail me. 
If, on the other hand, I am covetous and lack contentment, it indicates that I am dissatisfied with the company of God or that I am disconnected with His company.

  • The cure for coveteousness is contentment
  • The key to contentment is connection with Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment