Friday, February 13, 2015

This Passage Has Fresh Meaning for Me

Luke 23:39-43 KJV
And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Though I have read this passage many times it has taken in new meaning for me. It was from this passage I was able to lead my brother in law, who was at the time dying of cancer, to have hope in Jesus Christ.

Ron had been battling the cancer for several years. Though we had tried to witness to him we had been unsuccessful. Now he was days away from eternity. My mom called to tell me that Ron was afraid to close his eyes. Ron told her he knew that if he closed his eyes he would go to hell and wanted to speak with me. Since he was six hours away I called on the phone.

I had been given just a moment to compose my thoughts and this passage came to mind. I told Ron the story of a dying man asking another dying man to forgive his sins. I then assured Ron that if he would ask Him, Jesus Christ, who has now already died and risen, would forgive his sins and save him too.

Ron called out to Christ for salvation. He died a day or two later but insisted that someone pray or read the Bible to him the remainder of his time here.


I will never read this passage without remembering Ron and without praying for other dying men to cry out to the man who has died and risen.

No comments:

Post a Comment