Sunday, May 03, 2015

The Difference Between Knowing and Doing

Romans 15:5 KJV
Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:

The Apostle urges his reader to bear the infirmity of the weak and “not to please ourselves”[1]. To aide us in this exhortation he reminds us that God is the God of patience and consolation. He is both long suffering with our sins and quick to grant us those elements of comfort for the spirit and soul.
·       I can be patient because God has been patient with me.
·       I can offer comfort because God has comforted me.

The Apostle offers this reminder in the form of prayer, which teaches us that there is a great difference between knowing a thing and carrying it out. I know I ought to be patient. I know I ought to seek the comfort of others, but the reality is that I cannot do either effectively without the enlistment and help of God.




[1] Romans 15:1 KJV
We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment