Deuteronomy 13:4 KJV
Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.
I would call this verse the pivot of all of Deuteronomy 13. The chapter offers three possibilities in following after false gods:
· A prophet might bring s true sign
· A member of the family might tempt you privately or
· Certain men (this might be a political party in our day) might lead a whole city away from god
The point was that, no matter what, you do not turn from God to idols.
· Even if the prophet tells a dream that comes true or performs a miracle and it is proven genuine
· Even if it is you your parents your spouse or your children
· Even if is the direction your whole country is heading towards
We who are God's people are to:
· walk after God
· fear him and keep His commandments
· obey His voice
· serve Him and
· cleave unto Him
If anything tends to draw us away, especially if they are emotionally compelling things, we should view that as a test from God to prove, try and strengthen our faith.
Our allegiance is to God alone.