Monday, April 11, 2016

1 Timothy 6:12 (KJV) Grab Hold!

1 Timothy 6:12 (KJV)
Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
1 Timothy 6:19 (KJV)
Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.
There is a difference between possessing a thing and holding on to it. I have a number of things in my attic that are possessions, many of them I am attached to and don’t have any desire to be rid of them, but rarely do I really ever give them any attention. On the other hand I had other things that matter so much to me that they are a part of every day life. I see them daily; probably use them daily. Some of them require regular maintenance and, should they break or stop functioning properly I am quick to get them repaired. More than possessing them, I lay hold on them.
The Word of God tells me that eternal life ought to be more than something we store in the attic of our spirit. Eternal life ought to be on the forefront of our minds, at the top of our list of concerns and the priority of our life. Eternal life, if thought of as a tool, should be the first one pulled from our toolbox. If we think of it as an item of daily use, it is the one we would maintain the best and would be the first thing to repair should we find it worn in some way.
The Bible told Timothy to lay hold on eternal life. He needed to do that as a man. Timothy, however, had a further reason to lay hold on eternal life; as a preacher, he needed to teach others to do the same. They could never lay hold on that which their own spiritual leader had not.
To my readers:
I would love to hear from you. Leave comments below.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others

1 Timothy 6:12 (KJV) Grab Hold!

Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at Bible Baptist Church Fundraiser. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment