Monday, June 20, 2016

Psalms 69:1 (KJV) Emotion Allowed

Psalms 69:1 (KJV)
To the chief Musician upon Shoshannim, A Psalm of David. Save me, O God; for the waters are come in unto my soul.
Many years ago now I invited a preacher to hold a week of meetings at the church I pastored. He brought with him a young man maybe 19 years old. He was attempting to mentor the young man for ministry. As such, he discussed with the young “Timothy” his devotions each morning. One morning when he inquired what he had gotten out of his devotional time the younger man remarked, “It was just David whining again.”
I have never forgotten that and it comes to mind nearly every time I read through the Psalms. I consider the young man’s response:
  • Irreverent of God’s Word and not well thought out. 
  • Not long after that young man turned completely against the Lord. 
  • Indicative of an American attitude 
Americans don’t like losers, downers, depressed people and whiners. We see ourselves as winners and view America as the land of opportunity to everyone who will pull themselves up by the bootstraps and make it happen.
I do not want to say I enjoy whiners or that I want to be one. I do want to say that there was a good reason God allowed David periods of such deep depression. We would understand the Psalms much better if we would at least acknowledge that such feelings exist in ourselves sometimes. We would be so much more compassionate as ministers to others if we would grapple with the emotions David wrestles with in the Psalms.
One of David’s concerns was that his depth of despairs not turn others away from God. It is legitimate for us to possess the same concern. On the other hand David plainly declared that his depths were the result of his wholly following after God. We must not refuse complete surrender because we refuse this potential term.
To my readers:
I would love to hear from you. Leave comments below.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others

Psalms 69:1 (KJV) Emotion Allowed

Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at Bible Baptist Church Fundraiser. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment