Saturday, July 02, 2016

Psalms 89:20-21 (KJV) Established in Christ

Psalms 89:20-21 (KJV)
I have found David my servant; with my holy oil have I anointed him:With whom my hand shall be established: mine arm also shall strengthen him.
These verses (and the context in which they are found) are directed to David but must find their truest fulfillment in Jesus Christ.
My interest is in verse 21 and the phrase, “With whom my hand shall be established” many of the commentaries retranslate[1] this to read something like “From whom my hand will not leave.” I cannot argue that as a truth regarding David. God’s hand has forever been upon him through his progeny, especially Jesus. Though the Davidic family experienced supreme failures and was, at least in one line, forever dispossessed of the throne, God’s promise to him has never been altered because of Christ.
But the plain reading of the King James Version can only be applied to Christ. This understanding of the phrase is that God’s hand is established through Christ. We see
  • who God is, 
  • what is His Character and 
  • how His promises are fulfilled 
in the Person of David’s Son, Jesus Christ.
[1] The word translated established means set up, fixed confirmed. It is difficult to find the “be ever present with” interpretation in the phrase other than through reason.
To my readers:
I would love to hear from you. Leave comments below.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others

Psalms 89:20-21 (KJV) Established in Christ

Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at Bible Baptist Church Fundraiser. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment