Sunday, July 03, 2016

Psalms 91:9-10 (KJV) You Can Be An Encourager

Psalms 91:9-10 (KJV)
Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
I cannot help but be thrilled with the confidence of the Psalmist here. His relationship with God is so sure that he boldly assures his audience that, since they knew God as he knew God, “There shall no evil befall thee.”
A great need in our day is for Christians with this same confidence.
  • A confidence to speak out for God
  • A confidence in the work of God is
  • A contagious confidence in God
This confidence need not belong to the preacher and scholar alone. It has a rightful place among any believer who has experienced the blessed hand of the Lord. Charles Spurgeon, in his Treasury of David has this personal testimony concerning this passage, “In the year 1854, when I had scarcely been in London twelve months, the neighbourhood in which I laboured was visited by Asiatic cholera, and my congregation suffered from its inroads. Family after family summoned me to the bedside of the smitten, and almost every day I was called to visit the grave. I gave myself up with youthful ardour to the visitation of the sick, and was sent for from all corners of the district by persons of all ranks and religions. I became weary in body and sick at heart. My friends seemed falling one by one, and I felt or fancied that I was sickening like those around me. A little more work and weeping would have laid me low among the rest; I felt that my burden was heavier than I could bear, and I was ready to sink under it. As God would have it, I was returning mournfully home from a funeral, when my curiosity led me to read a paper which was wafered up in a shoemaker’s window in the Dover Road. It did not look like a trade announcement, nor was it, for it bore in a good bold handwriting these words: – “Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; there shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.” The effect upon my heart was immediate. Faith appropriated the passage as her own. I felt secure, refreshed, girt with immortality. I went on with my visitation of the dying in a calm and peaceful spirit; I felt no fear of evil, and I suffered no harm. The providence which moved the tradesman to place those verses in his window I gratefully acknowledge, and in the remembrance of its marvellous power I adore the Lord my God.”
If a tradesman may encourage a preacher such as Spurgeon with such confidence, so may any believer who knows the hand of the Lord.
To my readers:
I would love to hear from you. Leave comments below.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others

Psalms 91:9-10 (KJV) You Can Be An Encourager

Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at Bible Baptist Church Fundraiser. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment