Monday, September 26, 2016

John 13:26-27 (KJV) “Is It I?”

John 13:26-27 (KJV)
Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly. 
I agree with John Gill that this was neither a part of the Lord’s Supper or of the Passover, but was a meal taken previous. Because of the topic in discussion, I doubt that this could be considered a high point in the spiritual life of the disciples, but it is certainly an intimate, close and extremely spiritual one.
  • They are sharing in a meal with the Saviour just prior to His crucifixion
  • They are sharing in His ministry to them in washing their feet
  • They are sharing in His revelation of His betrayal and subsequent execution
Concerning the identity of the betrayer, all of them are asking that question, “Lord, Is it I?” Then Jesus performs this very generous act of dipping the sop, a piece of the crust of bread, in a sauce and giving it to Judas Iscariot. It is at the moment of grace that Satan entered into him.
What a lesson there is to be learned here. God’s grace in our lives is no assurance that Satan hasn’t access to our lives.
Over the years I have spoken to a number of people who believe that they are somehow safe with God because they have experienced some act of grace. I remember speaking to a lady, the first year of my pastoral ministry, who told me that she believed she was saved because she had asked God to spare her life as she underwent heart surgery. She believed that because she survived the surgery God had answered her prayer and that God had saved her eternally. How many people in this world believe that they are going to heaven because:
  • They survived some tragic accident
  • They had a particular prayer answered
  • They were blessed in some particular way
Is impossible to estimate. What is not impossible is to proclaim that every one of them have a false hope of salvation. Jesus said “I am the way the truth and the life, no man cometh unto the Father but by me.[1]
If your hope of heaven is in anything besides Jesus Christ alone, your hope is hopeless.
To my readers:
I would love to hear from you. Leave comments below.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others

John 13:26-27 (KJV) “Is It I?”

Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at Bible Baptist Church Fundraiser. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment