Sunday, December 11, 2016

Jeremiah 12:14-17 (KJV) God Offers Compassion

Jeremiah 12:14-17 (KJV)
Thus saith the LORD against all mine evil neighbours, that touch the inheritance which I have caused my people Israel to inherit; Behold, I will pluck them out of their land, and pluck out the house of Judah from among them.And it shall come to pass, after that I have plucked them out I will return, and have compassion on them, and will bring them again, every man to his heritage, and every man to his land.And it shall come to pass, if they will diligently learn the ways of my people, to swear by my name, The LORD liveth; as they taught my people to swear by Baal; then shall they be built in the midst of my people.But if they will not obey, I will utterly pluck up and destroy that nation, saith the LORD.
There is a warning here to those who are enemies of God; if they will not turn to the Lord and obey they will be destroyed. But the focus of this passage is not concerning judgment but rather compassion.
God’s audience in this case is Babylon, the evil neighbors of Israel.
  • They were then
  • They are still today
Because of the terminology I believe we can include the Philistines, Assyrians and even nations such as Egypt. The point is that God offered to them compassion.
They were known enemies, they had committed evil atrocities against the people of God and God promised to exact judgment because of it. I believe a case could be made that the judgment has been dealt in part by the rule of Islam in that land. No good thing comes of Islam.
However there is the offer that if they will learn the ways of the people of God then God will include them as His own. This, I think, is fulfilled in the local church where Jews and Gentiles are included together as one.
No matter how much an enemy one has been to the people of God, or for that matter one is currently, there is compassion and inclusion for any who will come to learn of Christ.
To my readers:
I would love to hear from you. Leave comments below.

If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others

Jeremiah 12:14-17 (KJV) God Offers Compassion

Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at Bible Baptist Church Fundraiser. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment