Monday, January 07, 2019

1 Samuel 30:6 (KJV) Discouragement Not Necessary

1 Samuel 30:6 (KJV) 
And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.
I was privileged to hear a wonderful message today, by Pastor Douglas Duffett, of Bible Baptist Church in Fairbanks, AK. Pastor Duffett’s message took us through David’s experience of serving under King Saul, through to this passage. After years of fleeing King Saul David, in 1 Samuel 27:1 (KJV) claims,
And David said in his heart, I shall now perish one day by the hand of Saul: there is nothing better for me than that I should speedily escape into the land of the Philistines; and Saul shall despair of me, to seek me any more in any coast of Israel: so shall I escape out of his hand.
At this time, David fled into Gath, the land of the Philistines. 
Pastor Duffett describes the spiral that led King David into Gath like this:
  • Disappointment led to
  • Doubt which led to
  • Despair which led then to
  • Discouragement finally leading to
  • Depression
The point of the message was that David came finally to “encourage himself in the Lord.” He urges us in the message to do the same.[1]Pastor Duffett’s observations were very helpful. The Bible teaches us to be strong and of good courage. Discouragement is dangerous and not necessary if we will take steps to encourage ourselves in the Lord.

[1]I am of the opinion that David’s decision to go into Gath may have been more at the behest of the Lord than of despair. What secret subterfuge God may have sent David to accomplish in Gath might be more than we can ever know while on the earth.
To my readers:
First of all, thank you! It is a great joy to me to know you read the thoughts and lessons God has given me in His word. Secondly, I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave comments.
For this and more than 4400 earlier Daily Visits with God visit https://mckenzie-visit-with-god.blogspot.com. There you will find daily visits going back to 2006.
If you have been blessed by this blog, please subscribe to my feed and share it with others.
For more resources from Pastor Marvin McKenzie visit http://puyallupbaptistchurch.com.
My books are available at:
My author spotlight at Lulu.com:
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/marvinmckenzie
My author Page for Kindle/Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/author/marvinmckenzie

1 Samuel 30:6 (KJV) Discouragement Not Necessary

photos from pexels.com
Please consider helping our church’s teen department by signing up for cash back shopping at http://www.dubli.com/M04VB. This program has three levels of participation, the first being completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment