Tuesday, October 16, 2007

And I Will Bless Them

Numbers 6:27 KJV
And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them.

My devotional reading this morning took me through Numbers chapters five and six. The passage is certainly a spiritual one. The curse for the wife whose husband is jealous (in chapter five) must be miraculous. No water could cause the illness she would get if and only if she was guilty unless the Lord made it to happen.

And this is a spiritual passage. For the priest to bless Israel with the Words.
The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.


And for God to say in that way the priest had "put [God's] name upon" them must be miraculous.

I view my function as a pastor as similar, though not the same, as that of the priest of old. And I do view it as my duty to put God's name on the people I am blessed to pastor through my prayers for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment