Isaiah 5:14 KJV
Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.
It seems to me that the context of this verse extends up to verse 11. The Bible pronounces a woe for three things:
- The consumption of alcoholic drink
- The preoccupation with a party lifestyle
- The neglecting of the things of God
It is because of these sins that God says:
- The people are captives
- The leaders are famished and
- The multitudes are thirsty
Everyone is a slave to sin, those whose place is to lead the people to liberty are themselves starved of the truth and the whole of them want for the living water only the Lord can give.
It is at this juncture the Word of God gives us the passage we now consider.
"Therefore", because of these consequences of sin, hell hath enlarged herself.
The soul that goes eternally to hell doesn't go there suddenly or without warning. Though we are born into this world with the sin nature and our course is set for hell from the beginning, no one has to end up there and everyone is given ample opportunity and repeated efforts to see them saved.
The soul that goes to hell gets there through a process.
- They embrace the world and ignore the eternal. In doing so
- They heap to themselves leaders with no convictions and no ability to help them when they finally see they need help. Their friends, family and neighbors are in the same plight and
- They go to hell without a savior because they created an environment for themselves that has refused the Saviour.